CINCINNATI (February 13, 2019) — Blockchain-powered video game publisher Planet Digital Partners today announced the details around its first portfolio game “Cooking Mama: Coming Home to Mama.” for Nintendo Switch, a reboot of the top-selling family-friendly cooking game franchise Cooking Mama. The game will be available Fall 2019 and will be the first game to integrate blockchain technology on major consoles.
First released in 2006 with over $600 million in revenue and 20 million units sold worldwide, “Cooking Mama: Coming Home to Mama” is one of the first three games in Planet Digital’s portfolio that is funded by digital preferred shares. Planet Digital will democratize game funding for investors, who for the first time ever can own equity in a portfolio of console games.
“Gaming is a $135 billion dollar industry with little opportunity to invest outside of the large public game publishers. We are using blockchain to add new innovative gameplay that investors can now have equity in,” said Steve Grossman, President of Planet Digital Partners. “Putting aspects of Cooking Mama on-chain will take the user experience to a whole new level, reinvigorate a popular game franchise that many grew up with and give investors an opportunity to make handsome returns, through a digital preferred share offering.
Key blockchain components for “Cooking Mama: Coming Home to Mama” include:
- Unique Blockchain Private-Keys – Each purchased copy of the game will have unique IDs which will be managed directly through the game’s internal wallet storage. Players will be able to focus on Cooking Mama’s user experience rather than cryptographic key management.
- Private-Key Enabled Balanced DRM – Traditional DRM limits the ability to copy games, while private-keys on blockchain protocols allows easy registration. These combined items provide greater proof of ownership to legitimate owners of a game, while also allowing them to resell games both digitally and in traditional retail outlets.
- Enhanced Multiplayer Experience with Dual Expression – This feature, when enabled, makes every copy of a game subtly different and personal to a user. It utilizes the private-key to change expression algorithms for characters, ingredients and cooking methods.
- Securing Online Events – For promotional events, player records and participation can be tracked while maintaining privacy. In addition, hashes of the running game can be recorded to ensure the game has not been altered to create an unfair advantage.
- Digital Assets, Rewards, Recognition – Users will be rewarded with in-game currency (or points, experience, and other items) or earn recognition and certificates. These could be provided by the game, other players, or third parties that host tournaments or other promotions.
Also new to Cooking Mama will be a “Vegetarian Mode” where players who do not wish to prepare meals with meat ingredients will be able to cook creative, alternate meatless recipes. Players will be able to cook in both “Traditional Mode” and “Vegetarian Mode” and blend motion gestures from the Nintendo Switch with traditional controls for an immersive meal prep and cooking experience through each minigame played.
About Planet Digital Partners
Planet Digital Partners (PDP) is a collective of video game management, development studios, distribution and marketing executives that develops, manufactures, and markets video games. Founders include the former PlayStation Europe President, the founder of Take 2/Grand Theft Auto, the former CEO of Guitar Hero and studios like Saber Interactive – developers of Halo, Quake, and NBA Playgrounds. For more information, go to: www.planetdigital.io.
About Cooking Mama
First launched on the Nintendo DS in 2006 and went on to sell 20 million units worldwide, Cooking Mama is a family-friendly cooking simulation game that allows players to cook and prepare food through a compilation of minigames. The Cooking Mama world franchise has since expanded to other fun activities like Gardening Mama, Babysitting Mama, Camping Mama, Crafting Mama and has gone on to sell more than 20 million units worldwide on the Nintendo DS, 3DS, and Wii consoles. Cooking Mama is also available on iPhone and Android phones with the latest version being downloaded over 11 million times.